Blankets are not a WIP that have ever become a FO for me. For some reason, I never complete. Why then, have I just started a new one??
Well, I’ve had my eye on this pattern for a while, a few years in fact. It’s called Ringtoss Afghan, designed by Barbara Worn-Wurtz, from Crochet World August 2012. As I had some yarn in the right weight to stash-bust, I thought I’d finally get started on it. Except I’ve had to get more of that yarn… So much for stash-busting. I’ll probably end up with the same amount left over again!
I love the texture of this blanket, but I didn’t fancy faffing around changing yarn colours all the time, so I’ve opted for a monochrome of blue. I’ve been trying to work out what kind of blue this is – the photo makes it look too bright. It’s darker, and greener.. Perhaps a woad blue..?
Apart from this blankie, I have a handful of motifs which are nowhere near enough in number to make a blanket yet. I took these out of their storage place recently and Hmm-ed a bit. The problem is, I was whipping up these motifs in DK but I haven’t used that weight yarn in a while, and I’ve more or less used up my DK stash – at least in decent yarn and colours that I’d want in a blanket. (Anything else will be for toys or something.)
One way or another, I am definitely aiming to finish at least one blanket by the time the colder months arrive..
As my “work an octagon from the centre using some detail of interest” submission for IDC Part 2, I chose to do the rosebud motif I found on Dearest Debi’s website
I decided to use grey as the background rather than white, partly as I wanted to do a spot of stash busting, but also because I thought of a theme: greening up the cityscape. My suggested project is to turn this into a “Roses in a Concrete Jungle” bedspread, interspersing the rosebud motif with plain grey octagons..
Well, of course I’m going to think of something like that – I’m a gardener for a living and found my vocation through an interest in environmental conservation and wildlife. As a city girl, I realised we can do a lot for biodiversity in an urban context through gardening. Clink.. is that the sound of a penny dropping..?
Am a bit stuck on projects for the IDC.. again! But I won’t bore you with the details. Instead, here is a fun project I’ve busied myself with..
It’s a contribution to a charity yarn-bomb project for The Grange Range, to brighten up a local doctor’s surgery. There’s still time if anyone fancies joining in. Head over to: thegrangerange.wordpress.com
I was in one of my favourite shops, Lush, recently and spotted this postcard as I was paying for my soap..
Wool Against Weapons is part of a peace campaign aimed at banning nuclear weapons. The request is to contribute a 60cm x 100cm knitted or crocheted piece (peace!) in … PINK! My least favourite colour. Funnily enough, I was chatting to the cashier about it and she happened to be a knitter. She said although she loves the colour pink, she doesn’t like knitting with it! We laughed about how bizarre that is..
The crocheted and knitted rectangles will be stitched together to create a seven mile long peace scarf, to extend between two Atomic Weapons Establishments: Aldermaston and Burghfield in Berkshire, unrolled and twined into place on 9th August 2014 (Nagasaki Day) For more info about the event and how to get involved, visit: www.woolagainstweapons.co.uk
Here is my rectangle in progress:
The suggested number of crochet stitches required to reach the right width is 75, but I found I needed 90! Something I learned doing the IDC is that the taller stitches spread more than the lowly dc – obvious now I know, but I never observed it before it was pointed out. So one of the reasons for needing more stitches was the type of stitch I’m using. I’ve chosen something basic in order to finish up quickly and without hassle(!) I prefer texture to colour work so I’ve interspersed trebles into rows of dc, creating simple bobbles.
I won’t have enough pink yarn to complete a metre.. No doubt I’ll end up with more left-over pink.. Groan..
Alpaca yarn shop Toft is running a stash-busting competition which I’ve been tempted to enter. Thing is, I don’t have any Toft yarn as it’s a bit pricey for my purse. Consequently, I don’t have any Toft leftovers and so cannot enter the competition. I toyed with the idea of getting hold of some but that’d be ridiculous, to buy yarn especially to have ‘leftovers’, so I decided against it!
Still…I’m taking on the challenge just for myself, using any yarn. The limits were: fine – 20g: dk – 30g: aran – 40g: chunky – 60g.
So far, my stash-busting has gone into making squares for a hotch-potch blanket, but now I will endeavour to be more inventive. More on this as it develops…