After much shilly-shallying, I managed to get another IDC project handed in. The criteria ticked off for this piece were: household item; tunisian crochet; and fashion yarn.
I’m not sure what I feel about woolly cushion covers – can’t decide whether I like them or not. But I chose to make one for the household project, as I didn’t want to make a garment with the fashion yarn I’d picked, as it was quite expensive and didn’t go very far. I used a different yarn for the back because it would’ve been too expensive to use Rowan’s Thick’n’Thin for the whole cushion. The front was done using tunisian simple stitch…
..and for the back I used the “up’n’down stitch”, which alternates treble crochet with double crochet in the same row. This was to avoid the curling of the button band which happens if you use a hook which is too small – tunisian crochet should be done on a larger hook than you would use for regular crochet to avoid this problem, and I didn’t have a hook large enough. I just wanted to get the project finished by this point, so couldn’t wait for anything as slow as the postman, and all the shops I’d looked in didn’t sell tunisian hooks larger than 5.5mm
I opted for silvery buttons to echo the lightness of the front of the cushion
The project got a “Very Good” which translates as 95 – 99%. A “Pass” in the IDC is 80%, so you can be sure that your work is of a high standard if you receive pass marks. I lost marks for this project as “the texture of the slubbed light bluey grey yarn … will ‘bobble’ or ‘pill’ in use”. Well, I’ll take that and party on! Now I’ve just got to decide if I’ll actually use the project or give it away. A friend said she liked it… but I’m not sure she liked it enough to actually want it.